CIBIL is a Credit Bureau authorized to operate in India. It was the first credit bureau and as a result now CIBIL report is a term used generically for all bureau reports in India.
CIBIL collates the information submitted by banks and other lenders and generates the CIBIL report. CIBIL is allowed to share your CIBIL report with banks when you seek new loans or with banks who have given you a loan already.
You can also get a copy of your CIBIL report directly.
If you were to get a copy of your CIBIL report then it will contain the following details:
- CIBIL Score provides information on your score as well as tell you the % of loans sanctioned in last 1 year for borrowers whose CIBIL score equal or more than your score.
- Personal Information –
- Date of Birth
- ID document details like PAN / Voters ID / Aadhar / Passport etc.
- Contact details – only latest 4 addresses and email ID are shown in the report
- Address – residence and office
- Telephone numbers – residence / office / mobile
- Employment information – details related to occupation and income are available
- Loan / card
- Account details
- Name of the Bank / Lender from which the loan is availed
- Loan start date
- Original loan amount
- Loan amount outstanding
- Repayment history for upto 36 months – this information is available with CIBIL for every month since you started the loan, though only latest 36 months details are displayed
- If loan is closed / paid off
- Whether the loan was settled or written off- you could not pay the dues or if you asked the bank for a rebate If the loan is in your name only or is jointly taken Information about guarantees that you may given for someone else's loan are also shown in your report
- Enquiry information
Unlike developed nations the credit bureaus in India do not have information about utilities like phone, electricity etc., and insurance payments. Currently CIBIL only has the information provided by banks.
This is the situation right now, but over time even this information is expected to become part of the data available with the credit bureaus. This report is like a financial report card for an individual. It has very sensitive information and is a private document that needs to be guarded closely.